Grainy Dijon Mustard Prime Rib Roast with Horseradish Aioli and Red Wine Au Jus
Yield: one 10 lb. prime rib, serves about 10 people
15 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
1 premium prime rib beef roast, 10 lb. Bone-in or Boneless
GRAINY DIJON PASTE:
- 1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons DDPK dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons prepared Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons DDPK coarse black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
RED WINE AU JUS:
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt to taste
- Clean and pat dry the roast with paper towels. With a sharp knife poke holes in all sides of the roast and insert the garlic wedges.
- In a medium bowl, whisk grainy mustard, rosemary, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, oil, shallots, salt and pepper. Coat the roast in the spice mixture until all sides are covered. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Cover and refrigerate roast for at least 10 hours before baking.
- Remove roast from fridge and let stand in room temperature for an hour. Preheat oven to 450oF. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Decrease heat to 300°F and continue cooking the roast uncovered for about 1 ¾ to 2 ½ hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Remove roast from oven, loosely tent with foil and let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes before carving.
- HORSERADISH AIOLI: Meanwhile, in bowl, stir mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Serve with roast.
- RED WINE AU JUS: in a small saucepan, bring broth and wine to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and salt. Serve with roast.